Saturday, October 24, 2009

Well it is Saturday morning, the day we go home. Rebecca and I talked a lot yesterday and we've tried to remind ourselves that it could always be worse and that a lot of good things have happened. I told her at one point that I am grateful we came to Houston in October, not July or August. I have been here during those months and the humidity is unreal! I am also grateful we had the opportunity to go to a place like MD Anderson. Just that alone is tremendous. There is so much that we are thankful for right now!



I want to say a few things about my post yesterday. I do not want anyone to think we are giving up, or are not going to fight! We are going to fight this with every ounce of being that we have! This is not going to get me anytime soon! (I am not done annoying my wife and mother yet, way too much fun.) We simply feel like we always need to be open and honest about what the doctors tell us and what is going on each day. We also, as a couple, feel like it is important for us to face reality. We aren't going to be morbid or obsess over it, but we also can't bury our heads in the sand and pretend it doesn't exist either. We feel there is a healthy balance. I told Rebecca yesterday that the long term prognosis, although bad, will be a great motivator for me to do the things I will need to do like the treatments and changing my eating habits. And a lot of you know me, I like to be "shot straight", tell me like it is and we will deal with it. Some body said "I wouldn't have had the nerve to ask the doctor what you did", well I didn't have the nerve not to! The fact that at this point there is no cancer to be found is a miracle! I know I have said it and it is true! We are very grateful for that. A lot of people we have talked to have asked what the significance of that is for us now. The best way I can describe it is war. What we did was win a battle, just not the war. But, how do you win the war? Win the battles! Andy 1, cancer 0. I still tell it everyday, you ain't gonna beat me. (I just thought of two or three more analogies I could have used in place of war so here goes. No just kidding I won't bore you but I do have a good boxing one!) My wife and I talked a lot yesterday about how this is going to change our lives on a daily basis, but how not to let it control us. We will hopefully find a healthy balance. I want to make one thing clear that I didn't yesterday. Rebecca asked the doctor if we stay on top of this and catch any recurrences early, can I still have a good thirty or forty years? He said yes, more than likely. There is our focus. Rebecca made a great point yesterday, who knows maybe over the next several years they will find a cure. Amen to that. But the bottom line is the only reason we are here today, and the reason why they can't find anymore cancer now is because of God and all your prayers! THANK YOU! I just cannot say it enough. We could not do this without you guys and your prayers and support. Your messages, phone calls, cards, and words of encouragement give us so much strength. So, to use a term from my generation, game on! We will start making doctor's appointments this week and get busy living, We will let everyone know when the treatments will start.

As I finish this we are home. It is good to be home. We are both sick now which is just great. We have had a long day are are ready to watch some football and go to bed! We love you guys!

Remember everyday to put one foot in front of the other, drink a lot of water, and don't forget to breath...........

3 comments:

  1. im so glad your home YOUR SO LOVED AND BLESSED

    sharen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy and Rebecca, I'm so sorry that you are both sick...just take it easy and don 't rush things!!!! I will be coming up soon and want to make sure we get to go out for a nice dinner!!! okay??? our trip got postponed to Beaumont for the 3rd time...oh well...but I kept thinking about you both....Andy, what your mom said is so right, we will all walk this journey with you!!! love to your family, diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. home cheese. we still gotta do steak whenever y'all get back home. love & prayers. c-ya

    ReplyDelete