Friday, October 16, 2009

Well I got to put my new found outlook on life to the test yesterday. For the first time since the surgery, I had my first day back in the real world. I don't think I passed the test. I told Rebecca last night that I guess in my subconscious I have somehow expected things in life to go on hold or at least be smooth while we fight the cancer. Yeah I know what you are saying, I should know better. I got up yesterday and got dressed which was fun one handed. I had to take Brandon to the doctor, so I went to the other side of the house to wake him up. As I walked into the hall I saw the toilet overflowing in their bathroom, and noticed the two inches of water in the floor! So I shut the water off, got Brandon up and went to the doctor for what we thought was a 9:50 appointment. Turns out it was at 10:40. So two hours later we left the doctor. Then off to bank where I had to argue with them, then off to pharmacy where they over charged me $50.00 and another argument, then home to meet a plumber. He fixed the toilet, I watched him, only to have it over flow again later. It still isn't working. There's more but I won't bore you. Point is, and the question I had to ask myself is, how did I handle it? Honestly not too well. But it was also another good lesson learned. I was reminded it's not about what life hands me, it's simply about how I deal with what I am handed. I cannot control the world or others. I cannot control doctors, pharmacies, banks, or anything else past the end of my nose. Truthfully, I don't want to. All I can do is control my thoughts, actions, reactions and attitude. I mess up when I let others rent space in my brain. The bottom line is all those things, days like yesterday, just aren't worth worrying about. Like I said before all those "sayings", don't sweat the small stuff, life is too short, and our new favorite, it could always be worse, really mean something today.

What is important is my brother Jared flew into town yesterday to spend the weekend with me and the family! I am so excited to see him. It is going to be a great weekend. Family is what matters. Period.

When I first wrote this today, we hadn't heard anything from MD Anderson. We heard from them today., We have an appointment next Thursday October 22. It is the initial appointment so we don't really know what to expect. Right now we are in scramble mode to get travel, lodging, work and kid arrangements made! We love you guys!

Remember everyday, put one foot in front of the other, drink a lot of water, and don't forget to breath........

4 comments:

  1. Hey Andy, Grandpa Bob says you're a good writer.
    Just want you to know we're praying for you and know you are going to do well at MDAnderson. Wish I was there to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry that should have been I were there to help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dont know how nor when but if i know anything our FATHER will make a way HE WILL NEVER LEAVE YOU NOR WILL HE EVER FORSAKE YOU AND THAT IS THE WORD then kids will be no big deal

    YOUR SO LOVED AND BLESSED
    sharen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andy and Rebecca, I have finally read your blog...somehow I missed the site...so I keep asking Josh about you and he reminded me about your blog...wow, is all I can say....I have laughed, cried, prayed, during all of this so far...I can't tell you how much your story has touched me. You are so right that family and friends are all that matters and of course, God!!! I just have to tell you that I haven't felt this close to God since the birth of my beautiful grandson, Kayden...thanks so much for you and Rebecca sharing...and please continue to let all of us know if there is anything we can do for you and your family...I love you guys and keep the faith...diane

    ReplyDelete