Friday, October 2, 2009

The Beginning

So here it goes. I would never have thought that I would be doing something like this. I said for the longest time I would never get on facebook, now I am addicted to Mafia Wars! But amazing how things change. As you all now by now, on Thursday October 21, 2009 I received a phone call that will forever change my life, and the lives of the people close to me. I was told I have cancer. I had a tumor removed from my arm the previous week, and the Dr. called me on the phone and told me the news. You don't want to start a conversation with your Dr. by them saying, "I don't usually do this over the phone, but in you case time is of the essence". Then she told me that she had already contacted a surgeon and made an appointment for me because the rest of the tumor, under the skin, had to be removed. I really don't remember much of the conversation after that. The next thing I remember is lying on the floor in our bedroom, in the fetal position, crying like I haven't done in years. My only thought then was, I have to tell Rebecca. That would be my wonderful, beautiful, best wife in the world, for those of you who may not know her. And yes you can argue with me all you want, my wife is the best wife ever!


I then went to her work and told her the news, the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. For those of you who don't know her father, Gary Phillips, was at the Mayo Clinic for 8 months fighting a very rare form of cancer. Praise God, today he is cancer free! So, hard on my wife is an under statement. She and I then went and did the next hardest thing I have ever done in my life which was to tell my parents. I will never forget that as long as I live. I have never been so sick in all of my life. The next hardest thing I have ever done was telling our kids. (my stepkids.) All within two days. I cannot begin to put into words how I felt or the things that were going through my mind those two days. I went from I cannot believe I am sick, to I don't want to die, to losing my arm, to going through chemo., to leaving a life I have now that is better than it has ever been before. Then came the wait. The appointment with the surgeon was a week away. The longest week of our lives. The waiting, the not knowing, the dangerous places your mind can go when there are no answers and no direction. The only way I got through it was my wife and kids, my parents, and the best friends a guy can have. I cannot say thank you enough to all of you who have called, texted, and sent messages. You are what got us through. Especially Chad, Josh, Jason, Michael, Shawn and Ron and Rae. You will never know how much you mean to us. And especially to my family, all of you, I couldn't do this without you.


So we finally met with the surgeon yesterday, October 2, 2009. The answers finally came, just not the ones we were hoping for. The doctor then began to tell us, me, Rebecca and my mom, that I have a Level 4 Melanoma. They grade them on the size and depth. The levels are 1-5 with one being the best and 5 the worst. He also told me that the size of mine is 11mm which is very large, and that it is ulcerated. All things you don't want to see in that kind of cancer. He also told us that the survival rate of this kind of cancer is not good because Melanoma is very unpredictable and aggressive. The fear at this point is that it has spread into my lymph nodes, or it has gotten into my bloodstream. (On a side note, I don't always hear things right, and definitely don't remember things well. Plus my head has been swimming. So if I give any incorrect information, I apologize and my wife will correct it at a later point. My disclaimer!) I am scheduled for surgery on Tuesday October 6,2009. They are going to remove a large piece of my forearm where the tumor is. It will require skin grafts and my arm will be completely immobile for two to three weeks. They will also test my lymph nodes that day to see if the cancer has spread. If it is found in my lymph nodes, they will do another surgery to remove them. Then hopefully we will have a PET scan done to determine if it has gone into other parts of my body. At that point we will formulate a treatment plan, which will be us going to MD Anderson in Houston.


It is amazing how God works, even through tough times. This is the best time in my life for me to get to go through this. This list of good things is too long to list all of them. As we go along in this blog I will try to share them from time to time. One took place today. I have a good friend who I have lost touch with over the last several years. He is a Radiologist. We ran into each other a few months ago while I was working. We were able to exchange numbers and get in touch again. Today God put him on my heart and I called him. I told him what was going on and he began to give me direction on what to do and told me that he would review my tests and make sure we formulate a treatment plan. It is simply a God thing that I now have a Dr. in my corner who I know has my best interests at heart and will work with me as a friend!


When I woke up this morning I was ready to fight. And that is what I am going to do. FIGHT!

One of our friends told us the other day, Andy is too mean, he will mean the cancer right out of himself! And I will. Please keep my wife and family in your prayers, they may not have to endure the physical part of this, but they will endure everything else I go through. (And I am not a good patient, so they will really need your prayers!)


Remember every day, put one foot in front of the other, drink a lot of water, and don't forget to breath.....

5 comments:

  1. I am so very proud of you baby!!! Everything was correct, except it's not the survival rate he mentioned, he said the probability of it being cured was low because it was so deep... and yes in my opinion there is a difference:) And just to add that we are not focusing on the numbers, as we have learned from experience each case is it's own and NO ONE can say what the outcome will be. It has however, made us aware of the fight that will be before us and allowed us to be as prepared as we can be for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may be mean but I can guarantee you have a meaner bunch behind, beside,and with you every step of the way! We will not only be there for all of you (yes even on the days you don't want us to be.) On the days you may not even know we are there. We are your prayer warriors, your friends, family and the army that loves you! (Ok, Ok...you air force and cop sensitives)...ahem let me rephrase We are your MILITARY LAW ENFORCEMENT FORTRESS! Just know we are fighting with you and for you! May you and Rebecca's courage and strength encourage all of us to be more than we already are. I am proud to call you my dear friends. Much love ~M~

    Duckie says....I LOVE YOU!!! AND YOU ARE GOING TO KICK THIS CANCER'S ASS!!!

    You let me know if you need anything, anytime day or night! We're here for you! xoxo M~D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said Andy! Gary and I know first hand the awful sick feeling you experience with that first phone call and the uncertainty of the the future. But we also learned the blessing that Cancer brings. Because of cancer, our relationship is stronger and we are closer, because of cancer, we learned who our true friends were, reconnected with lost friends, and made new ones. Most important... because of Cancer, we felt God's presence like never before and learned how He provided for us. Stay strong Andy (and Becky). So many are already praying for you! This verse brought me comfort many, many times so I wanted to share it with you.... "When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not over flow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee. Fo I am the Lord thy God." Isaiah 42:3,4a

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andy and Becky, I also know that awful feeling and like Jeanie know the blessings that can come from this even though we never want to go through it to get those blessings. Just know that we will be behind you with our love and prayers. By the time we get there in February we want to see you going the other way. Remember God is much more able than we are. Jeremiah 32:17,26,27 says "Ah Lord GOD! behold, thou hast made the heaven and the earth by thy great power and stretched out arm, and there is nothing too hard for thee. Then came the Word of the Lord unto Jeremiah, saying, Behold, I am the Lord, the God of all blesh: is there any thing too hard for me?" Grandma Phillips

    ReplyDelete
  5. no matter what always look up because that is were our FATHER is. HIS ways is highter then ours so look up! i know that you two have many many of friends and family to go to and you should let every one help an be at your sides if you two ever need any thing night or day just let us all know, when you two have to go to houston you can and i want you to know that the childred can come here any time. we will be praying for healing peace all of you. one thing i know for sure HE WILL NEVER LEAVE YOU NOR FORSAKE YOU AT ANY TIME
    YOUR BLESSED AND SO LOVED
    sharen and donnie

    ReplyDelete