Thursday, October 22, 2009

Okay, here goes. We had our appointment at MD Anderson today. We got there around 9:00 a.m. I registered, was sent for blood work, then got back to a room. We had to fill out a medical history questionnaire before we got there. The nurse, physician's assistant, and the doctor all asked me the same questions we answered on the questionnaire! Then the physician's assistant examined me, left, then the doctor came in and did the same exam. Wow. Finally we were able to sit and visit with him. He was very professional, straightforward, and he answered all of our questions. What follows is the gist of our conversation.



As I have stated I have a Clarks Level 4 melanoma that was large, was ulcerated, and vascular. (Meaning into the veins.) Again, the miracle is that we still cannot find anymore cancer. But I had the things that you don't want to find in melanoma. As we spoke with the doctor he told us right off the bat that the recurrence rate for this type of cancer is 80%-85% within four years. The historical peak of recurrence is about 18 months. He told us that with melanoma, the cells are initially so microscopic they they may be missed by tests for a while. Meaning it still could have spread and we just can't find it yet. I will have to visit an Oncologist every three months for the rest of my life. He also told us the recurrence is usually in the same area. (meaning as a melanoma, not after the spreading) The treatment would then be surgery along with heavy localized chemo. and radiation. He then explained to us that anytime this type of cancer got into my liver, brain, or bones, that the chances of treating it would be slim. With treatments I would live about a year, without treatments about 5-6 months. I then asked him the question that's been in the back of my mind all along. I asked him if this would eventually kill me? His response, "yes it probably will". The survival rate of this kind of cancer, historically, is 20%-25%. We then discussed the options. Now, keep in mind, any treatments we do are not designed to kill cancer, only to prolong the recurrence. He suggested the drug interferon. It hopefully will lower the recurrence rate to 70% and push the time back a few years. It will be a full year of injections. The possible side effects are depression, fatigue, and flu like symptoms. We have done some research and it seems to depend on the individual. The interferon is supposed to boost my immune system, in turn allowing my body to fight the bad cells, which is the only thing they know is effective at fighting the melanoma cells. The good news is we will be able to do this at home. No more trips to Houston for now.

Well that is what we face. I have made the commitment all along to be honest with everyone. I also tell you the truth because we still need all the prayers we can get. The doctor also told us the best prevention will be Rebecca and I. We will have to constantly check my entire body for any changes. If we are clear now, and catch any recurrences early, we should be okay. We are both still in shock. I told my mom earlier, I feel like every time we walk out of a doctors office it feels like we have been punched in the gut and can't catch our breath. But for those of you who know me well know that I just need a couple of days to process this, and come next week we will ready to fight for my life. Mom summed it up today. Welcome to your new life. She's right, it changed forever today. I think I am done for tonight. To top everything off, I am getting sick!

Remember everyday, put one foot in front of the other, drink a lot of water, and don't forget to breath.......

3 comments:

  1. heres some WORD for your day

    You are my heavenly Father and Your thoughts towards me cannot be numbered. How special I must be in YOUR eyes, LORD for You to think about me all the time.

    O Lord my God, are the wonderful works which You have done, and Your thoughts towards us no one can compare with You! If I should declare and speak of them they are too many to be numbered..

    YOU ARE SO LOVE AND BLESSED

    sharen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy,

    We have been following your journal and continue to pray for you and your family as you continue this journey. Keep up the fight! You are, after all, a Wileman, and they are as stubborn as they come!

    Love,
    Your Dallas cousins, Mark, Alison, Luke and Garrett
    and Aunt Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  3. You both are miracles, by far. For all that you two have been thru, thru all that you tow have achieved,for all you two will face. YOU ARE HERE. Fighting for your family, friends and yourself. Facing difficult odds is no easy task,but you my dear friends are a Rare breed of individuals that don't come along too often in this world. We all know you will continue to wage the WAR to kick the Clarks Cancer out the door. Along with you we will MARCH into this battle together.

    When nothing else seems to be working...just breathe and concentrate on that. The rest everyone else will come along to pick up and walk beside you, behind you, or in front of you.

    We love you dearly and by crockety...we're gonna be in that 20-25th percentile!!! ;-)

    Love ~M & D~

    ReplyDelete