Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I am speechless. I have gone back and forth since we left the doctors office yesterday about how to write about the kind of day we had. The simple, and only way I know how to put into words what we found out is, MIRACLE! Now I must say first, we are far from out of the woods, and we still have a long and tough fight in front of us. But what we heard was completely unexpected. When I got up yesterday I was fully prepared and ready to deal with the worst. I knew it was going to be a long day with the PET Scan, then having to deal with removing bandages and other physical issues. I was also prepared to hear about how far the cancer had traveled and how big of a battle we had to fight. And as I have said all along I am ready to fight. What happened was we got up and went to the PET Scan in the morning first, and as expected it was miserable. I guess I needed only one needle stick to check my blood sugar and inject me with dye, but two of them stuck me six times before they got one to work! I sat there and thought, I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. When we finally got out of there we went straight to the surgeons office for the surgery follow-up. I had to fast before the scan so by the time we got there I was hungry, frustrated and tired. Mom and Dad met us there and I am so grateful for that. When the nurse called us back, Rebecca and I walked into the room, and as we sat down the nurse said something about the pathology lab report. I think I said something like, oh good it's back. She, the nurse, said very casually, yeah it came back negative, (the lymph node) even the part they took out of your arm is negative. I just began to cry. The nurse then handed the lab report to us and surprisingly, there it was in plain english, negative for melanoma. (By surprising I mean plain english in a medical report!) I looked at my wife and said go get mom. Not only did we have to tell them the worst news, we got to tell them the best so far. All four of us just kind of stood or sat there with tears in our eyes trying to let it sink in. Then the doctor came in and told me that when he got to my lab report he gave out a yell because even he didn't expect that kind of report! Then he brought us back to reality reminding us that I still have a serious form of cancer, with a tough road ahead and a cancer with high return rate. We discussed some of our options and other things, then Mom and Dad left the room and the fun began. The wrap and stitches came off my arm which wasn't fun, and yes I almost passed out. Then the drain came out, praise God! Then the real fun came when he ripped the bandage off of my thigh, and Rebecca and I both almost passed out. I still have to wear my sling and keep my arm immobile for several weeks, but it will be easier now to function and I can shower again! Then when we finally got home I was on the phone with papa (a.k.a. dad) and the other line rang. I recognized the number as the surgeons office. When I answered it, it was Dr. Garber, and he said more good news the PET Scan is clear, it shows no cancer! My jaw dropped. I think I remember a high five with Rebecca! High five, where did that come from?!

Now having said all of that, I still want to repeat what I said earlier, we are far from out of the woods. While we are rejoicing in the miracle so far, we still have more work to do. We made the decision from the beginning to go to MD Anderson in Houston for a consultation. We still are. We want the best people in the world working on this with us and that's where they are. Rebecca called them yesterday and began the process. We have to get them all my records and they will review them, then schedule an appointment. They have already told us to be prepared for another surgery right off the bat. They told us that while most surgeons remove and test one lymph node, they remove and test ten. And most treatments, while focused more on future prevention than killing current cells, will be long and arduous, and will make me sick. The main reason I am telling you this is each of you proved yesterday that prayer works, and God is a big God of big miracles! Without each of you and your prayers and thoughts, yesterday would have never happened. I, by all rights, should have cancer all over my body. But the miracle is I don't!Each of you and this experience has stirred a faith inside of me I cannot put into words, thank you! Mine and Rebecca's prayers, on our own, just aren't big enough. So we ask you keep them coming. We are going to need them even more. We will be going to Houston in the next three weeks and we still face the same challenges we did before. There are going to be financial challenges with the travel and each of us missing work. There may really be challenges with Rebecca missing work. There will be obstacles with the kids staying home and in a normal routine. There may be times I have to stay in Houston without my wife. There will be more physical challenges for me. And the list goes on, so we ask that you keep the prayers coming, without them we can't do it! And the "you know what lady" hasn't started singing yet. What I am telling people about the good news from yesterday is it is not an all clear, but it is the best news we could have got. And we are rejoicing!

I have to share another story with you. I have a very good friend, Ron Badertscher. We lived next door to each other before Rebecca and I married and moved to Owasso. I have known Ron for about six years. His mother, Stacy, passed away from cancer several years ago. Ron is a big part of a non-profit organization called Cancer Sucks! He sent me a message yesterday and told me that he was glad to hear our great news yesterday. Yesterday would have been her sixtieth birthday! He said, "what great news to hear on her day". Truly so. Thanks Ron.

Well on a lighter note. I got to sleep in our bed last night and it was great! I am also going to attempt a shower tonight, and I know a few who are grateful for that! Again, we cannot thank you all enough for all you have done! We love you guys!

Remember everyday to put one foot in front of the other, drink a lot of water, and don't forget to breath.......

3 comments:

  1. again YEA YEA GOD IS SO GREAT IT THE BIG AND LITTLE THINGS

    sharen

    ReplyDelete
  2. good morning to you two heres some WORD for your day

    I give You my worries and my cares Lord. For You are always thinking about me and watching over everything that concerns me.

    Let HIM have all your worries and cares, for HE is always thinking about you and watching everything that concerns you!!

    YOUR SO LOVED AND BLESSED
    sharen

    ReplyDelete
  3. good morning to you two heres some WORD for your day

    How precious it is, Lord to realize that you are thinking about me constantly! I can't even count how many times a day your thoughts turn towards me. And when I waken in the morning you are still thinking of me!!

    YOUR SO LOVED AND BLESSED

    sharen

    ReplyDelete