Saturday, September 11, 2010

Latest

It is Saturday as I write this. I am trying to get it done before 3:00 pm because it is that time of year again! OU football. They play at 3:00 today and once kick off comes, I will be doing nothing else but watching the game. What a great time of year. Cool Saturday's with nothing to do but be lazy and watch football. And for anyone who is wondering, my wife is a huge football fan, especially OU football. Yes I know I am lucky. One of the reasons I married her.

We have a little bit of news. We met with the surgeon yesterday. The first thing is he took the drain out of my arm pit which I am very grateful for. They aren't so much painful as they are annoying and restrictive. The final pathology lab came back on Thursday and he was able to let us know what they said. They took 15 lymph nodes out during the surgery and of those, 3 were cancerous. I think in my previous blog after the surgery I talked about a tumor under my arm that they weren't able to get to through the first incision. It too was cancerous. Also some of the tissue he removed that was around the nodes was cancerous as well. The rest of the nodes and tissue he took out was clear. It's what we all expected. No better, no worse. On Wednesday and Thursday I was very sick. I had chest and head congestion along with aches and pains and couldn't hardly get off the couch. After sharing that with the surgeon, he told us that it is a viral infection and is most likely what caused my breathing problems on the operating table. We know there will probably have to be more surgeries in the future and we were worried about the breathing issues. He assured us that the issues were a result of the illness and nothing else, and that we shouldn't worry about any more issues during any future surgeries. We have not met with our Oncologist here and don't know when we will. We do have an appointment at MD Anderson in Houston next Friday the 17th. We are going to meet with them and see what they say. We will then come home, met with the Doctor's here, and formulate a game plan. If we feel that I can be best treated in Houston, we will do everything we can to make that happen, if it's at all possible.

Again with the hurry up and wait for answers. I think yesterday both Rebecca and I reached a point that we just flipped the proverbial switch and turned it off. We are both worn out and needed to rest. I cannot say enough about my wife. She is incredible. She has taken care of me, the kids, the house, and been constantly on the phone getting medical records and talking to Doctor's office's. Tenacious doesn't even cover it. I honestly don't know what I would do without her. We are shutting it down for the weekend. We are going to rest this weekend, try not to think too much, and hit the ground running on Monday. We really appreciate all of the emails, calls, and texts from everyone. It means a lot to us and gives us strength everyday. We know things will be a little different this time, but the one thing that will never change is that all of the thoughts and prayers we receive are what helps us get through no matter what the road ahead my bring. Thank You!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update.
    Football! We are even gonna watch the Rams play this afternoon. Gotta check out their new QB. :)

    ReplyDelete