Saturday, November 27, 2010

Home

Well it is Saturday the 27th of November and I am on my favorite spot. The couch! If I haven't said this enough, it is good to be home! Rebecca and the kids got the Christmas stuff out yesterday and got the house decorated. So I am looking at a beautiful tree, with a fire in the fireplace and the stockings hung on the mantel. Okay, I will stop, I am sounding like a Christmas carol. But it is beautiful and starting to feel like Christmas.

It was great to be home for Thanksgiving. The kids were excited to see us and we were excited to see them. The tradition in our young family has quickly become we spend Thanksgiving with her family and Christmas with mine. She has a much, much, larger family than mine and for them Thanksgiving is the holiday everyone comes together if possible. It was great for Rebecca I know. If you don't know, her parents and one set of grandparents, are missionaries in the Philippines. As most of you know her mother flew back to Tulsa when we found out we were going to spend so much time in Houston. While we are gone she stay's at the house and takes care of the kids. Her father and sister were able to come home as well last week. So on Thanksgiving there were around thirty people in here uncle's house for the day. It was a great day for everyone I know. I am just not used to that many people in one house! I wasn't having the greatest of day's physically and one of the fallouts from the treatments is I seem to not be able to handle a lot of noise and people. I managed to stay for a few hours before going home and sleeping.

I share that to say this. I want to say a huge thank you to her parents, Gary and Jeannie, and my parents, Larry and Judy. All of whom have made huge sacrifices to do whatever has been necessary to help my family during this journey. It was not an easy or cheap task for Jeannie to drop everything she was doing in the Philippines and fly home for such a long period to help. It wasn't easy I am sure, for Gary and Rebecca's sister Sandra, to let their wife and mother go for such a long time. And it couldn't have been a bigger help to us to have her here with the kids. It allowed them to stay in their own house and keep as much of a normal routine as possible.

My parents have made two trips to Houston with us, which was the plan from the beginning, to help Rebecca and I while there. They have spent a lot of money on travel and lodging and food, not to mention a sacrifice of their time and routine to do whatever has been needed. They have sat with me in the hospital and during treatments, done our laundry, and been with us every step of the way. They have put their lives on hold for us.

During this Thanksgiving season, and trying to focus on what I am grateful for, I have thought a lot about the sacrifices that both families, and especially our parents, have made for us. I understand it more now that I am a parent. As a parent and someone who is now responsible for and to others, I realize what a sacrifice it has been for all of them. It has also been a tremendous reminder for me of how important family is. All families, I think, have times we may not agree with one another, may even get mad at each other, but no matter what when it comes down to it, we stand together and support each other without question or fail. And family and friends truly are what matters in life. Period.

Mom and Dad, Gary and Jeannie, we will never be able to repay you for all that you have done and continue to do for us. And there are no words sufficient to tell you how grateful we are for each of you. But, thank you very much! We simply would not be able to do what we are doing without each of you and the sacrifices you all have made.

We love you!

Remember everyday to put one foot in front of the other, drink a lot of water, and don't forget to breath........................................

2 comments:

  1. Andy you and your wife are in our prayers . Andy you made a differnts in our life yrs agoand we well always remember what you did to change things for us.
    Laura and Bobby Smith

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you don't know us like Becky does but your blog as blessed me more than I can tell you. It is like a Bible study for me and I can hardly wait to read the next one you write. I reread them frequently. You are truly anointed in your writings. May God Bless you. Give your sweet family our love and you have our prayers. Mary Jo and David Reed

    ReplyDelete