Thursday, November 11, 2010

Behind

Well let me say sorry for not writing sooner. We have had a few health issues since returning home and I simply have had days where I haven't felt like doing much. It's good as always to be home! It's getting harder each time to get motivated to make the trip south. I just don't like being away from home! I am truly a home body.

The last round of treatments went well once again. I did have two days of my first real bout of nausea on the last day. I am really grateful I haven't had to deal with that any more than I have. It is not fun. The side effects were about the same otherwise. On the day that I was released they gave me a shot that is to help encourage white cell growth and to help boost my immune system. When we got to the hotel room that evening my fever spiked to 102. After speaking with the doctor they felt it was probably caused from the shot. We stayed in the room that evening and stayed the next day. My fever broke and by Friday I was feeling good enough to drive home. I felt good on Saturday and Sunday. Monday I started feeling bad and my fever spike to 101.5. We then went to the emergency room, as instructed, and once we got there my fever was almost 103. They took blood, did a chest x-ray, and started me on antibiotics. Of course my fever had broke before they started any medication! They still sent me to Tulsa to the hospital to keep me overnight for observation. After a night of observation and medication they could find nothing wrong. All of my blood work was fine and my fever never spiked again. I am having problems with my right foot and ankle. It is an old injury but in essence I have torn ligaments and bone fragments in my right ankle. I was scheduled to have surgery on it in October of last year but obviously once the cancer was found last year it took precedence over the ankle. The doctors in Houston say that one of the treatments I am receiving can cause joint and bone issues, especially in areas where there were previous problems. The bottom line is now my right foot and ankle are swollen to the point I cannot bend my toes or walk on my foot and hurt all the time. More fun, let me tell you! Other than that, I feel fine now. I am not dealing with any other side effects and am grateful as always for that.

Not much else is new on the medical front. We will leave next Tuesday for Houston. I am scheduled to have tests done on Wednesday and Thursday. We are very apprehensive at this point. As I stated in my previous blog, if the test's show no change in the tumors the doctor stated he will stop this treatment and we will have to look at other options. Obviously we are worried because it would mean that we are running out of options. Keeping with the theme of honesty, it is hard on us right now to even think that way. We may have some big decisions to make next week, so for now we are trying to focus on just being at home and enjoying time with our family and friends. It's not how I wanted to spend my thanksgiving but it also helps remind me that I still have so much to be thankful for! Keep us in your prayers next week. As soon as we know more we will let everyone know.

Remember everyday to put one foot in front of the other, drink a lot of water, and don't forget to breath...............

No comments:

Post a Comment