Sunday, October 24, 2010

Well I want to apologize for not writing sooner. I would like to say that I have been so busy I haven't had time to write, but that is just not true. We have been been busy the last two days, but I have had plenty of time to write. Rebecca however has been busy. She is amazing. Since we have been home she has gone to work as much as she can and taken care of me. Her mother came in this week to help with the kids over the next several months. She has already been a huge help. Today we have nothing on the schedule and hopefully we will be able to rest and refuel.

On the medical front all is well for the most part. I still am having minimal side effects. The only one that has been an issue since being home has been a rash and itching caused by one of the drugs. It was rough the first few days but has improved greatly over the last several days and I am grateful. I have to continue to have blood work done, even while at home. I go to a lab here in Owasso where they draw the blood, test it, then send the results to the doctor's at MD Anderson. I have done two so far and all my numbers have been fine. I am not sure what is going on right now but the last two days my knees and feet have hurt to the point of almost being immobile. We don't know if it is related to the cancer drugs or if it is something else but it has been rough. There is also the typical energy issue. I just run out of gas pretty quick but that is to be expected. I am sleeping well and have found my long lost appetite. As of Monday I had lost around 30 pounds but since then I have put some of it back on with the help of Rebecca's great cooking, doughnuts and cookies and cream ice cream! It's kind of nice to not have to worry about putting weight on. I look at it like a bear feeding in preparation for hibernation. I know that the week I am back in the hospital I won't feel like eating so I am eating now in preparation for my hibernation!

The last two days have been incredible. Friday was the Fraternal Order of Police golf tournament fundraiser, and Saturday was the all day fundraiser at the Silver Dollar Restaurant in Collinsville. Yesterday there was an all you can eat breakfast, Poker Run, raffle, and auction. I was able to go to the breakfast then the auction. It was utterly amazing to see. My family and I cannot say thank you enough to the people who worked so hard to put on both fundraisers. We also cannot say thank you enough to the sponsors who donated money and items to both of the fundraisers and to all who participated. It was truly amazing. We simply could not do this without all of you and your support. Thank you!

Well, will we leave on Wednesday or Thursday of this week. I have to be back at the hospital on Friday at 2:00 pm. (Funny, that actually give you a piece of paper that are called "orders" with the date and time of return!) I have to be honest, right now I am not looking forward to it. I laughed when I just typed that. How could anyone ever look forward to cancer treatments! But honestly I have mixed emotions. I know I have to do this. I know it will save my life. But some days to think about it is overwhelming. I have the typical fears like, will I do as well this time as I did the last? Will the side effects be worse? Are the treatments working? Has the cancer spread more? I know these are typical emotions, but if I dwell too long on them they can be overwhelming. I try to simply focus on today and the gifts I have been given. As my dad said from the beginning of this latest journey, my life will never be the same again. He was right. The trick for me now is how to make the adjustments to accept this as my life now, and how to be and do the best I can, enjoy life as much as possible, and walk through this journey with dignity and honor. One thing is sure, each day is a totally new experience.

That is all for now. I will write more over the next couple of days. I have a lot rolling around in my head that I won't bore you with. I will save it for another day. Thank you again for all of the prayers and support. We cannot do this without each of you!

Remember every day to put one foot in front of the other, drink a lot of water, and don't forget to breath....................

5 comments:

  1. again we all stand and stand again. this last weekend as you said was just amazaing the people the money that was raised the support and most of all the love that came from all around..
    YOU ALL ARE SO LOVED AND BLESSED

    sharen and donnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy as i have said it over and over again you are amazing. The strength you show to fight not only for your self but for others . You fight to keep our kids out of trouble and you did a great job of it. Our prayers are with you and your family. Laura and Bobby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andy - somehow I found your blog and I am glad I did. You have been battling the beast for about as long as my husband has - diganosed Stage 3a 14 mos ago. I want you to check out my blog also - you will see my post about a friend is also doing biochemo after 4 rounds - her tumors are gone! We can totally relate to all of your feelings. I really hope that you will also go to the online forums at Melanoma International Foundation and/or Melanoma Research Foundation if you havent already. There are so many people in the same boat and this is where you can get the most important, life saving advice - from the people who right there with you. All my best to you! Emily - www.emandmichael.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you have a safe return trip to Texas. I will be thinking and praying for you and the family.
    May God hold you and all of yours close to his heart during this next treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love you Andy. It shows, and we now truly know the difference. Not everyone can say that. Lonna and I so enjoyed celebrating you and your family. It really restored some faith in humanity for a lot of us. You rock Bro. Get home!

    ReplyDelete