Monday, October 19, 2009

Well it is Monday evening as I write this. Today is Tylers twelfth birthday and I am sitting on the couch watching him play the new video game we bought him. The only bad part about these games is they are expensive, and he will have the whole game beat in a couple of days! We had a very good evening. After school we took him and the other kids to Cici's Pizza, then to Walmart to spend his birthday money, then to eat ice cream. We decided to wait until we came home from Houston to have a party. We just have too much to do to get ready. It was nice just to be together as a family for his day. It has been so exciting to watch him the last couple of days. He has been bouncing off the walls with excitement. It's been invigorating to be around that kind of youthful energy, not to mention the joy I get from watching the three of them grow. I used to get sad and question God wondering why I never had children. Not anymore. This was part of my destiny in life. This is just where I am supposed to be, and just who I am supposed to be with. What joy and peace it has brought to my life.

We are preparing to leave for Houston. We fly out Wednesday afternoon. Our appointment is Thursday morning at 10:00 a.m. Hopefully we will be back Saturday afternoon, unless something changes. We are again in a place with more questions than answers. We have no idea what to expect. Living that way will teach you a great deal about living one day at a time. You have to make a conscious choice to worry to about the unknown, or stay focused on today. I sleep better when I focus on today. When you are told that you have an illness that could ultimately take your life, it does funny things to your head. I know, imagine that! I have not had depression or anger, nor have I wanted to hide. Quite the opposite. I am ready to fight like no one has ever seen. I even say out loud everyday, cancer you picked on the wrong person! (Yes I really do.) I have heard the feelings will come out in different ways. If so, mine have been manifesting themselves in my dreams. Strange, weired, and some scary. The kind of dreams you wake yourself up from then sit there for a minute and come back to reality. (And for those of you who may be wondering, I quit taking my pain medication a week ago. I don't need a padded room.) The brain is an amazing thing. Puzzling, but amazing. As Rebecca and I talked about it today she reminded me it's probably another result of feeling things are out of control for me. And she is right. So much is past the end of my nose. But what really helps is remembering all of the miracles God has already worked so far. The list is too long for this. Someday maybe I will write a book about all the miracles God has worked in my life and the lives of my family. Amazing! So hopefully tonight I can get some rest. We have another long day tomorrow.


Please keep us in your prayers as we travel, and while we are in Houston. We will post on the blog Thursday night after our appointment. We are ready! We need more prayers! My wife Rebecca's best friend Becca, just found out today that she has Cervical Cancer. She has a husband and three small children. Lets show her what prayer is doing for us!

You want to know how much I love my wife? I have been to Walmart four times in the last three days! THAT is love. The good news is if I have to go through chemo I won't have to worry about my hair falling out, I pulled it all out on our last trip. Hope there aren't any Walmarts close in Houston, I would rather go to the hospital! We love you guys!

Remember everyday to put one foot in front of the other, drink a lot of water, and don't forget to breath.......

4 comments:

  1. Hi Andy. I'm Shawn Reeves' sister-in-law, Seth's wife. Everytime I read your blog I cry, part of that could be I'm expecting. :) However, my faith is challenged and strengthened everytime I read. No wonder Shawn is such good friends with you. Please know I'm praying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy and Rebecca please be safe on your trip...I only live about 3 1/2 hours from Houston...if you need anything call me and I will come...903-261-4022...this weekend I will only be about 45 mins from Houston...so pls call me if I can help in any way!!! diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Andy,

    heres a funny walmart website:

    www.peopleofwalmart.com

    Love, Kent

    ReplyDelete
  4. your just so blessed an im standing in the gap

    sharen

    ReplyDelete