Thursday, February 10, 2011

Voices.........

I am sitting in the hotel in Houston as I begin writing this. I am watching the morning news shows and laughing as I watch them talk about the horrible cold weather. It's 26 degrees. Sorry that's not that cold. Some schools are even starting late due to the cold. They are asking people to conserve power here due to the cold. Last week, because of cold weather, they had rolling blackouts here! But I was reminded that a huge part of life is all about perspective and what we are used to. They simply don't have to deal with winter like we do in Oklahoma, and we don't have to deal with winter like they do in Kansas or Nebraska. It is all relative.

I am going to get on my equally sided rectangular object, or soap box. I will be the first to say the technology has, and continues, to transform our lives. Everything continues to change and evolve. Microwaves, TV's, cell phones, computers, cars and on and on. I even saw an advertisement for a car the other day that will now give audible facebook updates! (I think that is going a little too far.) If it weren't for modern technology I may not be doing as well as I am. And I will admit that I am somewhat of a gadget junkie. I like to have the latest and greatest, even though I am not good at using them. As a matter of fact, I really don't even know how to use half of what my computers and phone are capable of. But what I have realized is that one of the downfalls of modern technology is we are losing human interaction. Face to face, voice to voice interaction. Between text messages, email, facebook updates, and instant messaging, many of us choose those as the means by which we communicate. And don't get me wrong, I am guilty as well. Those means of communicating have their place and time. Sometimes they are easier and more convenient. I am one who uses a blue tooth headset because I don't like having to hold the phone up to the side of my head. I ask myself the question, have we gotten to lazy? Do we rely on convenience too much?

For me the answer is yes. I have realized over the last several months that I have come to rely too heavily on these tools. I think it is a sad editorial of myself that I can infer emotions in text messages with the ones I am closest to. I have come to miss some of that interaction with others. What I am learning is that not only do I miss it, sometimes I need it. (Not to mention I am getting really tired of texting!) It goes back to what I wrote about not long ago. We are not meant to be alone. Relationships with others is one of the most important things in my life. I need to take more time to make phone calls and actually speak with others. I need to take more time to have a meal, or share a cup of coffee with those I care about. And sometimes, and there really is no way around it for me, I need to spend time with them, not send them emails. I need to hear their voice, not send them text messages. Sometimes hearing their voice can fix a day gone bad, calm a fear that is getting out of control, give a sense of peace that I cannot find anywhere else, and put a smile on my face. Sometimes I just need to hear a voice.

Remember everyday to put one foot in front of the other, drink a lot of water, and don't forget to breath.............................

No comments:

Post a Comment