Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Well it has been a while, I know. I am not sure why. One reason is since the last medical update there isn't any new medical news. I did finish another round, and started on the latest one yesterday. I suppose I could call it writers block, but I am not a writer. The treatments are getting tougher and I haven't felt well most days. But I guess no matter what I call it, the bottom line is I just haven't felt like it. I wouldn't say that I have been depressed, but some days I have been down. I try my hardest to stay positive no matter what but I guess I am also human and this is turning out to be a long process.

I guess God knows what I need when I need it. Over the last couple of days he has brought people back into my life that I haven't spoken to or seen in a while. As some of you know I am a member of the Oklahoma Fraternal Order of Police. I know some people have there opinions of us overall so if you do keep them to yourself! What we are is a bunch of Police Officers who simply take care of one another and fight for what we feel is right. The FOP has been incredible to my family and I during this time. Anything I have needed has been done. They have supported us in ways that still humble me to my knees. I got to spend the weekend with many of them I don't see very often and it was just what I needed. Hearing them and their genuine love and support what just what the doctor ordered. There is no better organization or group of people in the world. Yesterday I was contacted by a family that I have known but not spoke with in years. They shared their stories of cancer, and have already become a great support. Then I received a phone call from an old friend who has been great at staying in touch with me.

I attended a funeral on Friday that was one of the hardest things I have done in a long time. Her name was Jennifer Mansell. I met Jennifer around 12 years ago. She was a Tulsa Police Officer and a cancer survivor. She battled breast cancer for 10 years and it finally won last Monday night. Cancer again took one of the truly great ones. She was one I could call on anytime and knew she would be there for me. Even though she worked for a bigger department, she never looked down on me or treated me any different than she did anyone else. She was honest, hard working, and loved life. Sitting at the funeral, (which if you have never been to a Police Officers funeral I strongly suggest it, there is no other like it) I was reminded of how tight a bond we have has Police Officers, and saw how many lives she touched during her time on earth. Obviously Jennifer and I have at least two things in common and sitting through the funeral brought a whole new range of emotions for me at this point in my life.

But what I came away with from all of this is the reminder that family and friends is what we have here, period. Money, possessions, toys, none of it matters. I wrote a blog a while ago about God not giving us more that we can handle. I wrote about one of the ways that God does that for me is through all of the people in my life. My family and I cannot do this on our own. God uses each of you to give us the strength we need each day. I was reminded that I cannot isolate myself from the world no matter how I feel. We were not intended to be alone. I have a friend who used to say if God wanted me alone he would have put me on my own planet. He was right. Thank you to each of you for all you do for us. As I have said many times before, we simply cannot do this without you!

Remember everyday to put one foot in front of the other, drink a lot of water, and don't forget to breath.......................

3 comments:

  1. As I have said time and time again Andy you are amasing person and my family wouldn't have made it through some rough times without you as a police officer and as a friend. Our prayers are with you . The Smiths

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andy: Thanks for leaving the comment on my blog. I'm glad you found it. I spent some time reading a few of your posts, and was humbled my your story. I haven't had to endure chemo as you have. It's a really tough road. You're blessed to have such supportive friends and a great family. My prayers are with you. Peter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andy, we want you to know that we've read every word you've written so far. We think you ARE a writer, BTW!
    You were SUCH a great kid. Your whole family was such a blessing to us. Thank you again for sharing your words. All of us need to think about the things you have been forced to think about.
    Words are failing me tonight. We just want to be sure that you know we are PRAYING HARD for you and your family! God bless you and be with you each and every day.
    We are sorry for the loss of your friend. She was an amazing woman. We only know that because you wrote about her. Your writing has allowed people like us to hear her story, as well as yours. Thank you. Love in Christ, Rob and Kathy Gandy

    ReplyDelete