Sunday, January 2, 2011

Update

Sorry, I should have done this sooner. We went to Houston this week for a scheduled exam and doctor's appointment. We had Christmas with Rebecca's side of the family yesterday at our house. We got back from Houston late Wednesday night so I haven't taken the time to sit down and write.

So the latest. After another wonderful round of CT and MRI scans and x-ray's, we met with the doctor. I won't go into great detail but the visit didn't start off well. The physician's assistant went over the Radiologist's report with us. Based on what she said, there wasn't much change in the size of the tumors. When the doctor came in he asked us if she had gone over the reports with us and if we felt good about them. I obviously said no. Long story short, he explained that the Radiologist compares the last round of tests with the current one, thus showing little change. He then stated he looks at the very first test in October and compares it with the ones done on Wednesday. Doing that, you can definitely see a change in the tumors. The large one under my right arm is showing a black spot in the middle meaning the cancer is dying. The smaller tumors in my lungs have shrank some. The larger tumors have shrank some as well but not much. I also have lymph nodes in my pelvic area that are cancerous as well. The doctor seemed a little more pleased this time with the progress than he usually does. He stated he had hoped for more results but some is still better than none.

He also told us that I came to him with more disease (cancer) than anyone he has ever seen. He then said I have more disease than two or three of his patient's combined. Not what you want to hear from your doctor. But, as he stated, the good news is, it still isn't in any of my major organs, or my spine, or any other place that would change things in a major way. And we thank God for that. So the plan. I will do two more rounds of treatments here in Tulsa. After them we will return to Houston for our normal check up. At that time we will meet with a surgeon as well and will schedule a surgery to remove the tumor that is under my right arm. (Actually it is on my chest area on the right side directly across from my bicep.) This is where it get's technical. Apparently, and I cannot pronounce the name, melanoma can mutate. When the tumor is removed it will be tested for the mutation. If mine has the mutation, they will change me to a pill form of chemo that is effective for treating the mutation. The testing part takes a while, so while waiting to get the results I will do another two rounds of chemo here at home. After the results we will decide what to do next. The final step will be another surgery on the larger tumor in my left lung. There is an outside possibility that if the nodes in my pelvic area don't completely shrink I would have to have surgery to remove them.

So again, not great news, but not bad news. I asked the doctor if he was happy with the progress. His response, he was hoping for more shrinkage. But the best part is there is shrinkage and there are no new growths. So we carry on. I have to be honest, I can't get very excited about more chemo. Each round seems to be a little tougher that the last. But at least we will be home. Keep us in your prayers, as I know you do. I am working on a blog about this last year and the challenges we face this year so I won't carry on too much here. But 2011 is shaping up to be another year of challenges for us. We are going to face it head on like we did in 2010. And I am going to do my best to remember to........

Put one foot in front of the other, drink a lot of water, and don't forget to breath...................

1 comment:

  1. Andy, since we just found out about your diagnosis, we are shedding tears for you today. Remembering the sweet little boy you were, it's just hard to switch gears to see what you are going through now. Our immediate family has been touched by cancer twice in the past almost 12 years. God healed both times...once here and once in Heaven. So, we know some of what you and your family are going through. We've just now read this post and will work backwards until we read to your first post. You now have some new prayers warriors, sweet boy! Please assure your family of our prayers and love. In Christ, Rob and Kathy Gandy

    ReplyDelete