Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Spring Time




Well again it has been a while, I know. I go through "moods" I guess, one may call it a time of speechlessness. Bottom line, I haven't felt much like writing. The mood hit this morning, even though I really don't have a lot to say! Things are good at the Wileman's house. I got to see my new nephew a few weekends ago. My brother Jared and his wife Lindsay have a new baby boy, Parker Thomas Wileman, who is the cutest kid in the world! My brother, sister and I and all of the grandkids were at Grams and Papa's house a few weekends ago and it was great to be together. We have been doing a lot of spring cleaning and working in the yard a last few weeks. The garden we built is doing great. (I included some pictures of it and the "herb table" we built.) It has been a far more enjoyable than I ever imagined. It is very fun and rewarding to build something, plant things, and watch them grow as we try our best to take care of them. We have redone all of the flower beds and I have worked on the grass that still doesn't want to cooperate. Rebecca and I spent the entire day working outside yesterday. It's our "escape", therapy, and quality time together and we love it. Even though I will spend the rest of today on the couch in pain, it is well worth it. The picture of us, by the way, is at the Houston Astro's game from the last trip we made down there.

For any who may not have heard, our last trip to Houston was just a meeting with the doctor to discuss the next step. They are sending me to Nashville to Tennessee Oncology. The gist of it is we are running out of options. The doctors in Houston feel the next best step is to try a new drug that is not FDA approved, but is available for compassion cases. (Those like me who are stage 4 and nothing else is working.) The drug is specifically designed to target melanoma with the BRAF mutation that I have. It show's good results initially but from what we have read for most people the cancer comes back and comes back worse than before. The doctors in Houston even warned us about it while we were there last time. So we have an appointment on May 2nd in Nashville. It isn't a guarantee that we will get on the drug. The doctor in Nashville will make that decision after our meeting. So we push on. I think the worst part of this for Rebecca and I is the unknown. Not to mention we aren't excited about starting over with a new doctor, new place, new drive, new hospital, new everything medically. I am definitely being removed from my comfort zone in Houston. We won't go back to there unless this drug doesn't work and the doctor's in Nashville can't help us anymore. So, Nashville here we come.

I am feeling ok. I still have issues from the side effects caused by the chemo. We have had a lot problems with my incision from the last surgery. The glue and tape they use to close it up doesn't like my body. Part of the incision opened back up after surgery and we have been having to baby it to get it to close. More wound care, dressings, gauze pads and time caring for it. You would think that we would be used to it by now! I have such a great wife who does a great job caring for my wounds. I am trying to do more physically to get some strength back. I am getting there slowly but have to be careful not to over do it. The kids are doing good, looking forward to the end of school and summer time. Rebecca is well and still putting up with me, thank goodness! We are getting ready for Easter weekend and time with Rebecca's family. That's all for now. We wish everyone a great Easter weekend and hope you all can spend time with family and friends. That is after all, what really matters.

Remember everyday to put one foot in front of the other, drink a lot of water and don't forget to breath......................

1 comment:

  1. You and your family is in our prayers daily. We know God has great plains for You . We are blissed to know you and know what kind of a caring man you are.
    Bobby and Laura Smith

    ReplyDelete